Wednesday Wonder
There were three activities to choose from for this week's wonder. I chose:
Take a stroll through a cemetery. Observe markers. Which ones pique your curiosity? Do the family plots intrigue you, or the lone plot tucked under an ancient shrub? Imagine the stories of the people memorialized and write a page about what that person or family might have been like.
I enjoy strolling in cemeteries and have taken some photos of some of the statue type markers. My favorite is a lifesize woman clad in nightgown, barefoot, and clinging to a cross. I had always figured she was a marker for a young woman who had died a lingering death in the early 1900's and whose faith had sustained her through her time of illness. I realized that I had never actually looked at the individual stones in that plot, so I wandered over and had a look-see. And now I have MORE to wonder about!
There are three markers that go with that plot. One is Mother, with dates from 1842 to 1917. One is Son: 1873. And the third one is Wife: 1865 to 1929.
Wife can't go with Son. Where is Husband? And why are there two necklaces wrapped around the crossbar of the cross, on the side away from the road? Hmmm.